Psst … Your Compost May NOT be Dog-Friendly!
Yes, it’s true; your compost is environment-friendly and waste-reducing, but it might also be dangerous to your dog(s), pets, wildlife and humans.
Here’s what you need to know …
As the contents of your compost pile or bin break down, dangerous pathogens (illness- or disease-causing agents) and tremorgenic mycotoxins (poisons from molds which can cause tremors or even seizures) are created and can seriously harm or even kill your dog and other pets.
So, how can you still compost while protecting your dog from indiscriminate scavenging on the tempting, unlimited buffet that is your compost?
- Never compost dairy, grains, nuts, legumes, breads or meats due to their tendency to become moldy.
- Use tightly sealed and secured compost containers to keep out curious noses and never-ending appetites.
Also, be on the lookout for symptoms in your dog like vomiting, unusual panting and/or drooling, depression, increase in heart rate, unusual changes in behavior and even coma. If you do suspect your dog has gotten into the compost, call your vet and seek immediate medical intervention. Even small amounts of compost can be toxic within a few hours and potentially fatal.
(Sources and Additional Reading: http://www.DogingtonPost.com, http://www.PetPoisonHelpline.com and http://www.TreeHugger.com)