Tag Archives: toxicity

K9 Dental Products: What You Must Know

As is typical throughout life, not all things are created equal.

Including the dental products being created and advertised for our beloved family dogs; and what you don’t know could hurt your dog!

Over the next few weeks, Cold Noses News is going to reveal the SEVEN ingredients you NEVER want to find in YOUR dog’s dental product; regardless of what the experts, gurus or even professionals may tell you.

We’ll teach you what names and terms to look for on the label for each ingredient as well as the very real and potential effects each can have on your dog.

Don’t be Fooled

As you search for an effective – and safe – product for your dog’s dental health, don’t be fooled by pretty labels, fancy advertising, “healthy” images or even these buzz words below:

  • 100% Natural
  • All-Natural
  • Organic
  • Safe
  • Healthy
  • Non-Toxic
  • Botanical
  • Vet-Approved
  • Recommended by Vets

Your Dog’s Health Depends on You

Always do your research first to ensure any claims are actually true, for your peace of mind and more importantly, for the well-being of your dog.

Note: the researched information we will be presenting over the next few weeks is only a singular look at each of these seven individual ingredients and does not address the potential for compounded negative effects/reactions when one – or more – of these ingredients are combined.

Also keep in mind, the smaller the dog, the greater – and faster -the adverse toxic reaction(s).

And finally, dogs with pre-existing conditions, compromised health or immune systems could face even greater danger from these ingredients.

So, bookmark this page (or better yet, follow us) and learn about the seven ingredients you never want to find in your K9’s dental product.

Toxic Ingredient #1

So, let’s get started. The Number One ingredient you never, ever want to find in your dog’s dental product is … alcohol.

Some K9 dental products contain as much as 25% alcohol

Bottom line, alcohol is toxic to dogs. All dogs. Always. EVEN when the label says “Natural Derived Alcohol” … naturally derived or not, it’s toxic. Period.

So here’s what you should look for and avoid:

Please share this post (and the ones that follow) with friends, neighbors and family who love and own dogs. Keep your dog safe from dental products (or any products) that contain toxic ingredients.

 

Blue-Green Algae: Safe for Your Dog?

It’s summertime and after a long and challenging winter, the warm temperatures and summer activities feel wonderful!

But, if your dog joins you in your summer activities, it’s important to know what dangers are lurking about to effectively protect them.

In earlier posts, we’ve talked about many of the warm weather dangers waiting for your dog, including:

  • Heartworm and ticks;
  • Mulch and composting;
  • Deadly rattlesnakes driven out of their natural homes due to excessive rain;
  • The most toxic plant to your dog, the Water Hemlock; and
  • The tiny, but deadly foxtails.

Today’s subject is something you also find in the summer; especially in warm, stagnant ponds and lakes with low water flow which may also receive runoff from fertilized fields; namely, blue-green algae. Runoff with residual fertilizer creates an excess of nitrogen and phosphorus in the warm water which leads to an overgrowth of algae, typically called a “bloom” (a floating mat of scum).

Not All Algae is Created Equal

Not all blue-green algae is toxic. Spirulina, a freshwater, blue-green algae, is actually a beneficial whole food supplement (i.e., superfood) for humans and animals. However, in the case of toxic blue-green algae, even a casual encounter presents a life-threatening emergency for dogs and pets.

“Harmful (algae) blooms usually smell bad and resemble pea soup, green paint or floating mats of scum.” (Dr. Karen Becker)

Since it’s practically impossible to determine whether algae is toxic by just looking at it, always err on the side of safety and keep your dog/pet/children and yourself out of all bodies of water where algae is present.

Even dogs wading into the water with blooms can suffer seizures and convulsions; and even breathing in droplets of algae-contaminated air can cause illness.

Symptoms of Blue-Green Algae Toxicity

Blue-green algae produces deadly and toxic compounds which can cause:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea;
  • Lethargy, shock and coma;
  • Excessive panting and salivation;
  • Liver damage and failure;
  • Blood in the stool; or a black, tarry stool;
  • Respiratory tract inflammation and breathing difficulties;
  • Irritation of the skin, eyes, nose and  throat.
  • Nervous system damage; muscle tremors or rigidity; seizures; and
  • Death in dogs;

in as little as 30 to 60 minutes after exposure!

If you suspect your dog/pet has been exposed to blue-green algae, even briefly, immediate emergency vet care is necessary.

Since it’s much easier to avoid algae toxicity than to attempt treatment after exposure, keep your dog leashed and protected from the dangers that lurk in the summer sun and heat.

Final Notes on Blue-Green Algae

Blue-green algae is also harmful (but usually not lethal) to humans causing a rash/reddening of the skin, hives, blistering, runny nose and irritated eyes and throat. Ingestion of this toxic algae can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, throat irritation and muscle pain.

Blue-green algae also poses a danger to horses, cattle, sheep, goats, llamas, cats and birds.


To learn more about blue-green algae: